ALFMED EXCURSIONS AND ACTIVITIES
Learning French and experiencing French culture, these are the two main objectives of ALFMED! To achieve this, ALFMED offers, in addition to French courses, guided tours and cultural activities. These visits are organized by the team or directly by the Perpignan Tourist Office.
To deepen your knowledge of the region, ALFMED offers you at the beginning of each new session, a 2-hour guided tour of Perpignan on foot or with the Little Train. It allows you to know the most important places of the city, their history and their architecture, the guided tour will make you discover places often unknown to the general public such as Casa Xanxo, the Saint-Jean Baptiste cathedral or the Castillet but also the city itself, with its good restaurants, its nice bars, its strategic places like the post office, the bus station, the trendy shops.
This visit quickly takes the form of a discussion during which students can ask questions about certain stores or additional information.
Depending on the session, different excursions are possible such as:
- A visit to the city of artists “Collioure” with a visit to the castle or the discovery of the nature reserve “Paulilles”. Collioure conceals incomparable maritime and architectural treasures. Catalan port, fishing village, medieval heritage and sunny colors of the Mediterranean coast, you will better understand why Matisse, Derain and Picasso decided to plant their easels there. Discover a beautiful stopover in the Pyrénées Orientales, also known as the pearl of the Vermeille coast.
- Visit the Palace of the Kings of Majorca: located in the heart of Perpignan which it dominates from a high promontory, this superb 13th century palace was for almost a century the center of the short-lived kingdom of Majorca. This palace was born from the will of Jacques II who wanted a home in the continental capital of his kingdom. The castle was begun before 1274 in a late Romanesque style and completed after 1300 in the Gothic style. The sumptuous chapels indicate all the refinement of this period and the status of Perpignan as the economic, political and cultural center of the medieval Mediterranean
- Visit of the Caves Byrrh: established in Thuir for more than a hundred years, the Caves Byrrh are the cradle of Byrrh, an elixir invented by the Violet brothers in 1866. By browsing this innovative circuit of the Caves Byrrh, you will be surprised at every moment by:
– this magnificent and gigantic industrial heritage,
– the discovery of the cultural heritage that are the posters of 1903, for the first time exhibited in Thuir
– the story of the founding family and the company, which will be told, through appearances throughout the course, thanks to the new technologies that are there, put at the service of heritage.
Witness to the ambitions of the Violet family for Byrrh, the largest oak vat in the world will stand out as a real technical feat with a capacity of one million two hundred liters.
- Rigaud Museum: It brings together a collection of paintings, sculptures and decorative arts, including a large fund of paintings by Hyacinthe Rigaud, a collection of Catalan Gothic art and modern paintings
- Visit of Villefranche de Conflent: a fortified town listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site which has an exceptional heritage: from the Middle Ages to the present day, time has inscribed in its stones the passage of the men who built it, who conquered it or who have lived within its walls. More than any other, Vauban the “vagrant of the Sun King” left his mark here.
ALFMED also offers to these students the opportunity to participate in specific events that take place in Perpignan and the surrounding area:
- The international festival of photojournalists, “VISA POUR L’IMAGE”, through questionnaires or animations carried out with a professional photojournalist, students can discover this major world-renowned festival. Different avenues are explored during lessons, educational outings or during the students’ free time
- The harvest festival in Banyuls, usually the second weekend of October, the small village of Banyuls celebrates the harvest that took place during the summer. On Sunday of this long weekend, you can go picnicking at the beach, and taste wine
All these outings are organized in an educational or cultural setting in addition to French lessons. This allows the ALFMED team to ensure total immersion in the French language and culture.
ALFMED also organises a Skills#Eu workshop once a month: it is a game that breaks the ice between all our students and allows them to get to know each other better